"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Nicholas

My son, Nicholas, will be attending his last day of elementary school tomorrow. I remember the day I took him to his first day of kindergarten. OMG. I cried, and cried some more. He was growing up. I didn't want the rest of the world to share in him. I wanted him for myself. He was my heart, in its entire form. I must have fought myself three times not to just pick him up and walk away, hoping no one would notice that we were there in the first place. I wanted just one more day of him being my baby boy. It was hard. He kept saying, "its going to be so much fun", "I'm gonna be a really good boy today mom", "You dont have to worry". Maybe he could tell I was upset. I dont know how anyone could've not been able to tell. It was that bad. So after the initial upset, I eventually let him go. He waved goodbye to me. He was now part of his OWN new world. He may have even been a little embarassed then by me hugging and kissing him goodbye. So I go home, unsure of how to spend my day without him. I go into his bedroom. Cried some more. I stare at the clock. I spent my day waiting for it to be time to pick him up. I left the house an hour and a half before it was actually time for him to be finished his school day. I drive to that school, and wait outside the whole time. I wait for my boy. I was so proud of him that day. As upset as I was, it was a good day. I realized he was ok. He was able to do this. I prepared him enough to get through this. I was the one who wasn't prepared. BUT, he is now going into Middle School. He will be in a new place, new people, new teachers. Older Kids. Strangers. I am so scared for him. Or maybe for me? He seems to be excited about it. His last day in elementary is tomorrow. So I will be going there, to his school, to wait for my little boy on his very last day there. I will be the proudest mom out there waiting for their child. I will cry, I will get upset, and I am sure I will be completely embarrassing to him, but, its okay. I don't care. My boy is growing up. My once, little precious baby boy. All grown up. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment